I came out of the cinema in awe, not gonna lie. I absolutely loved the movie, mostly because I am interested in stories about uprisings and rebellions. I cried from the moment Haymitch turned up again all the way through until pretty much the end, so that was a fun experience.
Can I just talk about Katniss’s wig? This doesn’t really have anything to do with the character herself, but oh my gods it was distracting. First of all, it gave Jennifer Lawrence a giant forehead that could have taken out President Snow by itself. Secondly, the wig looked like it was going to fall off at any moment and I was honestly afraid for its life.
Wigs aside, Katniss is as awesome as ever. A bit weepy, but understandably so.
I have to talk about Gale because in this movie he has stepped up. I loved him in the books, but in the previous two movies he was akin to wallpaper. In Mockingjay, he is featured a lot more and he is given more interesting stuff to do. Splitting the movies really worked in his favour, and I felt all the feels for him come rushing back again.
Finnick wasn’t in the movie nearly enough for my liking, but he did get some epic scenes, particularly the one towards the end where he talks about how the Capitol basically sold him after he won the Games. Again, I cried. Finnick is the most flawless.
I also loved Effie, because she is a precious princess. When she was teaching Katniss to ~act it was the sweetest and most hilarious thing. I wasn’t sure how much she would be featured in this movie, but she’s there enough to make sure I didn’t miss her, and her quips were on point.
I would talk about Peeta but I have nothing interesting to say about him. Ha.
A lot of people found this movie very slow, but I thought it was perfectly fine once the first twenty minutes were over. Katniss visiting the districts and the small rebellions that were happening were awesome. The stuff inside District 13 wasn’t all that great, but those only made up a small part of the movie. I can see why people thought this movie dragged, but since I was interested in the rebellion parts I thought it flowed quite nicely.
- Katniss and Gale shooting down the plane together. BAMFs.
- Finnick’s speech at the end when he was distracting the Capitol. MY LOVE.
- Blowing up the dam.
- Peeta attacking Katniss. That whole scene, from Peeta’s first appearance to his attempt to kill her, was flawless.
- Gale talking about the destruction in District 12. WEEPS.
- The beginning was a bit slow and took a while to get into the action.
- Natalie Dormer. I don’t know, I thought her acting was kind of crap. Maybe it’s the fact that she was really stressing her accent? American doesn’t suit her. Please don’t kill me.
- District 13 were a little slow to catch onto the fact that Snow had set up Peeta’s rescue as a trap. Seriously. Finnick was talking about how the guy was a snake and always a step ahead, and they thought they could just walk into the Capitol and take away their prize?
- President Coin’s contacts. Why were they necessary?!