Top Ten Books I’m Avoiding and Why

A lot of these books are books in a series because I’m absolutely awful at finishing series even if I’m really enjoying them! I might write a blog post about it at some point. I just get scared about being disappointed!
Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl

1. Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas
    This is where I stopped in this series. I adored Heir of Fire and Queen of Shadows, but I just never picked up Empire of Storms because I was worried about the series getting worse.
  2. Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson
    I’m not really avoiding this one, it’s just I need to reread The Way of Kings before I pick this one up again. When I read the first part of this, I couldn’t remember much from the first book. I think I need to do a full reread to refresh my memory.
  3. The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks
    I’m avoiding this one because I’ve heard it’s not the author’s best work. I really want to pick up his Lightbringer series, but I don’t want to do that until I’ve read his original trilogy.

4. The Passage by Justin Cronin
I’m mostly just avoiding this one because it’s really long, and the trilogy keeps getting longer.
5. Atonement by Ian McEwan
I just don’t want to cry.
6. The Birthing House by Christopher Ransom
I’ve heard this one is really bad, but I kind of want to read it around Halloween? I tell myself that every year.

7. The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkein
I started reading this when I was a child, but I couldn’t get into it. I read The Hobbit a bit more recently, and I hated it. So while I want to read this one because it’s a classic (and Quill loves it), I think I’m going to hate it.
8. Opposition by Jennifer L. Armentrout
I’ve probably gone off this series? But I own this one so maybe I should give it a go?

9. A Conjuring of Light by V. E. Schwab
WHAT IF I HATE IT
10. The Fireman by Joe Hill
I’m mostly just avoiding this one because of the size of it. I think it sounds like something I’d love, but it’s HUGE.

39 comments on “Top Ten Books I’m Avoiding and Why

1. Justine 10/09/2019 9:31 am

“I just don’t want to cry” might have killed me πŸ˜‚

• Amber 12/09/2019 8:59 am

It’s a serious concern πŸ˜€

2. verushka 10/09/2019 12:11 pm

Sarah J Maas is a an author and series that was way too over hyped for me to pick up the series. She was everywhere for a good long while and I just couldn’t muster up the interest in the books.

• Amber 12/09/2019 9:00 am

Things seem to have calmed down around SJM now, which is making me want to pick up the books again!

3. Kyla @ Kyla's Library 10/09/2019 12:41 pm

I loved The Passage trilogy and I think if you loved Heir of Fire and Queen of Shadows then you would probably also love Empire of Storms and the last books in the Throne of Glass series.

• Amber 12/09/2019 9:01 am

I hope I do! Thanks Kyla πŸ™‚

4. Lydia 10/09/2019 12:42 pm

I really like Lord of the Rings and The Passage, but they were pretty long books.

My TTT.

• Amber 12/09/2019 9:28 am

I’m going to have to split them up into parts when I eventually get around to them!

5. Jess @ Jessticulates 10/09/2019 2:02 pm

Great list! I keep meaning to try The Lord of the Rings, too, but I have a feeling I’m better off sticking to the films. I’ve heard good things about the audiobook of The Fireman, if you’re an audiobook fan! 😊

• Amber 12/09/2019 9:28 am

I really enjoyed the films, although I haven’t seen them in years! Oooh, I might try the audiobook! Thanks for the suggestion.

6. Candyce @ The Book Dutchesses 10/09/2019 2:10 pm

I really need to continue reading V.E. Schwab’s trilogy. I’ve read the first one and really enjoyed it. Also, I’ll be meeting this author in October, so I need to get at it!
    LUX is personally one of my favorite series. I really enjoyed it.

• Amber 12/09/2019 9:29 am

Have you read all of her other books? I think ADSOM has been one of my favourites of hers, along with Vicious!

7. Lianne @ eclectic tales 10/09/2019 3:48 pm

Looooove LOTR and Atonement. Have yet to read Words of Radiance (and Oathbringer); really need to carve out some time to tackle both books lol. Interesting list!

My TTT

• Amber 12/09/2019 9:34 am

I’m half excited for Atonement and half terrified haha

8. Cheri 10/09/2019 4:35 pm

I read and loved The Fireman, but it’s a lot. By the second half of the book I didn’t want to put it down, though.

• Amber 12/09/2019 9:46 am

It’s one that I’m really excited for, but the size keeps putting me off! I think I need to book a week off work for it.

9. Brooke Lorren 10/09/2019 4:42 pm

I’ve only read one Lux book so far, but I really liked it. Hope you can get to it soon!

• Amber 12/09/2019 10:05 am

It was really enjoyable, if not the best book I’ve ever read! Glad you liked it.

10. Cholla 10/09/2019 4:51 pm

I enjoyed The Lord of the Rings series, although I thought The Hobbit was a far better story. So, if you hated The Hobbit, you might not like LOTR either.

Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

• Amber 12/09/2019 10:06 am

I mainly just hated the songs in The Hobbit haha

11. Rissi JC 10/09/2019 6:42 pm

Once upon a time I thought I wanted to read the Sarah J. Maas books, but I’ve decided there just not for me, which is why I’ve unhauled them. Don’t really have a concrete reason other than there are too many other books to enjoy and I don’t like taking time to read something I’m not really liking. Hope you enjoy the books you plan to still read!! Thanks for visiting Finding Wonderland, Amber.

• Amber 12/09/2019 10:06 am

That’s completely fair! I feel the same way about plenty of other authors πŸ™‚ Too many books, so little time!

• Amber 12/09/2019 10:07 am

Haha I might get there one day!

12. lifewithallthebooks 10/09/2019 9:44 pm

Atonement always makes me cry too! And I totally understand not wanting to be let down by a series! 😊

• Amber 12/09/2019 10:07 am

I have a series problem, really! I’m always cautious about the endings to series because I’ve invested so much time into them but what if they’re awful

13. Sarah 11/09/2019 1:56 am

I don’t think The Fireman was so long- but then I read it at a time when reading 1,000 page books was common for me and 750ish felt small.

I actually recommend Nos4A2 over

• Sarah 11/09/2019 1:57 am

The Fireman. (Sorry hit the reply button too soon!) great list!

• Amber 12/09/2019 10:08 am

Oh I wasn’t sure about Nos4A2! It sounded intriguing but I’ve always heard more people talk about The Fireman. I’ll have to check it out! Thanks for the recommendation, Sarah.

14. Melanie Parker 11/09/2019 3:00 am

I need to read some Sanderson books but they are so long!

• Amber 12/09/2019 10:17 am

They are! His Mistborn books are a good place to start though because they’re so easy to read.

15. Sammie @ The Writerly Way 11/09/2019 5:52 pm

I still need to read the entire Stormlight Archive, but hubby has informed me I need to read Mistborn first, so … I guess it’s going to be a while for me on that one, too. xD Oh, and Brent Weeks! I keep wanting to check out his books, but then I sort of forget about him until someone mentions it again and now I feel bad.

Lord of the Rings is one of those books where it seems you either love it or hate it. I loved it. Hubby hated it. If you can’t get into it, try the movies. They did a really good job with incorporating a lot of the book.

• Amber 12/09/2019 11:20 am

Mistborn and Warbreaker! I had to take a break from Stormlight because I still haven’t read the latter. I will eventually though, but I’m not in much of a rush since the Stormlight books are going to take forever to come out.

I really enjoyed the LOTR movies when I was younger. I haven’t watched them recently but my partner and I keep talking about doing a marathon!

16. Jay @The Scented Library 11/09/2019 7:38 pm

Hey there,
    I was a LOTR lifetime avoider until my reading challenge prompt last year. Read it. Loved it. But I’m glad I hadn’t read it sooner. I don’t know if the younger me would have fallen for it, or been able to comprehend it as the adult me has. LOTR did end up a gateway fantasy book though, something I’d never thought I’d be into as I am now. Someone who I share book tastes with just recommended Sanderson to me, so I might go there eventually too. Very interesting list.

• Amber 12/09/2019 11:21 am

This makes me so glad that I’ve been waiting! I think I need to be in the right frame of mind for LOTR, and I don’t want anything to ruin the experience. I hope you love Sanderson’s books when you try them! I think they’re fantastic.

17. Dini @ Dinipandareads 13/09/2019 9:50 am

Such an awesome list! KoA was on my list this week too lol I really want to read this Sanderson series and also Weeks’ series because I’ve heard so much about them but I have a feeling they’d end up being avoided too? (because I’m so good at it)! πŸ˜‚ I didn’t realise The Fireman was a chunky one but I’m keen to check that out too. Hope you enjoy Conjuring of Light whenever you read it – I loved the Shades of Magic series 😍

18. Jaime 13/09/2019 2:18 pm

If you think you’ll hate Lord of the Rings, you probably shouldn’t bother reading them since they are so long. I love them, but I know they aren’t for everybody.

If you liked the other books in the Shades of Magic series, I think you’ll like A Conjuring of Light. But I understand the fear!

19. Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight 14/09/2019 12:59 am

I feel like not wanting to cry is a perfectly justifiable reason! πŸ˜‚ I stopped at the exact same spot in the ToG series as you, AND still haven’t read ACOL, so we’re twinsies there. I want to read The Passage. Even more now that they ended the show on such a cliffhanger and I need to get SOME kind of ending for goodness sake!