2017 Goals

I like to post a New Year’s Resolutions post every year, partly because I enjoy making lists, and partly because it gives me something to focus on. I never actually complete the list or stick to every single thing, but it’s still a fun thing to do. Last year I actually did quite well, as one of my main goals was to start taking driving lessons. Not only did I start, but I passed my test and bought a car! So 2016 was a good year for that. Hopefully 2017 turns out to be just as productive.

1. Travel

I did a tonne of travelling in 2016, and I visited some pretty wonderful places. It’s always been a dream of mine to travel the world, and I’m lucky enough to be in a situation where I can afford to. So this year I want to see some new places, go back to some old ones, and start planning future trips! I’ve already got a few places in mind. In April, my boyfriend and I are going to Carcasonne in the south of France for a long weekend. We’ll be visiting a few nearby places while we’re there. Then later on in the year I’m hopefully going back to Bavaria, Germany, and we’re also looking at Croatia. So that’s two new places, and one “old” one that we can explore.

let's travel

2. Travel blog

This is obviously related to #1. I’ve been thinking about travel blogging for years, and I’ve just not made the time to sit down and do it. Considering how much travelling I did last year and how much I’m looking at doing in the future, I’ve got plenty of material to write about. I’m probably going to merge Books of Amber and travel blogging, maybe with some sort of monthly or bi-monthly feature. It depends how many ideas I have.

3. Save X amount of money each month

Since starting my job (four years ago… wow), I’ve been saving a decent amount of money each month. I really can’t complain. But the amount has varied, and I have sometimes skipped months, like December as I tend to splurge for Christmas and outings. This year I want to put away the same amount each month (or more, if possible!) so I can continue saving for a place to live. Now that I don’t have to spend a tonne of money on driving lessons each week, this should be doable.

4. Start Dutch and Spanish back up… again

Every year I give myself the goal of practising Dutch and/or Spanish every day, and every year I fail. This year I want to give it an actual go. Maybe not every day, because apparently I can’t stick to that, but I’d definitely like to finish my Duolingo trees by the end of the year. Then I’ll start on Russian, Greek, or German like I planned to ages ago. GOALS.

5. Read 10 books

A bit of an easy goal, really. I figure that since I’m reading less than I was this time last year, I should probably give myself a smaller goal. I wasn’t too sure what to aim for, so I went for a small number so I don’t get too stressed. I expect to read at least twenty though.

read the book

6. Decide on something to study

In 2015, I studied Classical Civilisations in my spare time and got an A level in the subject. I want to do the same thing next year or the year after, so I need to decide on something to study. There’s a bit of an issue with coursework when you’re teaching yourself, so I’m thinking I’ll do maths or something. Yeah, I question myself too.

7. Make an effort to finish series

This goes for books and for TV shows. I’m behind on so many series, and I own so many starter books, that I’m stressing myself out and I need to get a grip and try to focus on them instead of buying new starter books and starting new shows all the time. But there are just so many good ones. Wah. I guess I’ll be doing some marathons in the near future.

6 comments on “2017 Goals

1. Jen! January 26, 2017 12:55 pm

Travel blog, yes! With saving thing, I also recommend just saving random amounts too. It builds up so quick. I’m not able to save large amounts each month, but saving the change from spending a note ect makes it build up. I can’t wait to see your travel diaries!

Number 6 sounds really fun too. I always love learning new things for the fun of it. Do you do it online?

• Amber February 1, 2017 8:40 pm

Yeah, I’ve been saving change and also any leftover money I have at the end of each month. It’s worked out well so far! I mean, I might not be able to do that so much later on in the year, or certainly every single month, but I figured I should save as much as I can.

I found the A level specification online, yep. I taught myself everything though, and did all the reading by myself. I have yet to find an actual online course that I want to do!
      Amber recently posted…Monthly Wrap Up: January 2017My Profile

2. Becky @ A Fool's Ingenuity January 29, 2017 11:40 am

These goals are amazing, I mean you got an A Level studying Classical Civilisations last year? That’s in sane. I hope you’re as successful learning something new this year. I am also insanely jealous of your travel plans for this year, I’ve barely left my county in the past couple of months let alone managed to go abroad. If you do travel blog I will be interested in reading it simply to feed my wish to see other places when I can’t.
    Becky @ A Fool’s Ingenuity recently posted…Sunday Summary // 29.01.2017My Profile

• Amber February 1, 2017 8:41 pm

Haha I did. It was loads of fun.

I’ll definitely try my best to make the travel blogging a thing. It requires a bit more effort than book blogging though, I’ve found. At least until I find my footing!
      Amber recently posted…Monthly Wrap Up: January 2017My Profile

3. Sebastian January 31, 2017 10:02 am

I’m really excited for your travel blog, I absolute love traveling, too, and would definitely interested in reading about your experiences and discovering new places to travel!

I’m also trying to save more money this year and only to buy books I really want to read and that don’t just let my TBR grow and grow…^^

Finishing TV series seems another reasonable goal, I really wish I would more progress on my TV shows 😀

Also I’m looking forward to you learning German ;D
    Sebastian recently posted…[Top 10 Tuesday] 2017 Movies We’re Looking Forward ToMy Profile

• Amber February 1, 2017 8:43 pm

YAY! I’ll try to get on it as soon as possible. I need to figure out formatting and types of posts and everything though. It’s a lot of effort haha.

I keep telling myself not to buy any more books but then I walk past Waterstones and I’m like “I’ll just have a quick browse!” and then I walk out with two or three. I’m rubbish. I’ve successfully stopped buying books on Amazon though, which has helped me buy less because I’m limited to what I find in store or on the Waterstones website.
      Amber recently posted…Monthly Wrap Up: January 2017My Profile