Book Haul: January 2014

I haven’t done a book haul post on my blog in ages, but I thought that I would bring it back this year because I always love seeing what other people have got in the mail, and I hope that people will be interested in my hauls too. I have a lot of books here, most of which were bought or gifted to me during December (not even this month!), so prepare yourselves.
Women of the Otherworld #2-6, by Kelley Armstrong
Tatum bought me the first book in this series, Bitten, for my birthday back in November. I took a while to read it, but I ended up very much enjoying it and I immediately had to buy the next few books in this series. I’ve already read Stolen, and I’m hoping to marathon the others some time soon. It’s a really good series to marathon, because the books are so bloody addictive!
The Naturals, by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Dare Me, by Megan Abbott
These two books are book club reads. Tatum, Lauren, Dee, and I decided to start up a book club for 2014, and we’re going to take it in turns to pick a book each month. We’re planning on posting monthly discussion posts to let you all know how we felt about each book, although the first one is still a work in progress. The Naturals was Lauren’s pick, and we’ve all already read it and really enjoyed it. Dare Me was picked by Tatum, and I’m very much looking forward to reading it in February!
The Iliad, by Homer
Crown of Midnight, by Sarah J. Maas
The Boyfriend List, by E. Lockhart
Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Edition, by eleven different people INCLUDING PATRICK NESS
These are my Christmas gifts from my bestest friends. Lauren bought both Tatum and I this beautiful edition of The Iliad because we’re responsible for ruining her life with The Song of Achilles. I’m looking forward to reading this! Tatum bought me The Boyfriend List, which I read when I was younger but she didn’t know about that, and the Doctor Who book. I don’t think I’ll be able to handle Ten’s story. And, lastly, Judith gave me Crown of Midnight, probably because she knew it was the only way I was going to agree to reading it for Epic Recs!
Unsouled, by Neal Shusterman
Flame, by Amy Kathleen Ryan
A Breath of Frost, by Alyxandra Harvey
When Mr Dog Bites, by Brian Conaghan
These are the books that I received for review. The top two were requested by me, and I am so excited to read them. I love both of the series that they’re a part of! The latter two were unsolicited, so I don’t know when I’ll be able to get to them. They do sound quite good, though!
The Lake of Dead Languages, by Carol Goodman
The Saga of Darren Shan #6, 9 & 12, by Darren Shan
The Spiderwick Chronicles, by Holly Black and Tony DeTerlizzi
I went to the charity shop – again – and found these. I’m slowly building up my Darren Shan collection again after having given away my original copies. I know, I’m a prat. I’m going to do an epic reread of the Saga this year. And I’ve never read The Spiderwick Chronicles, but I hope they’re good!
Keys to the Kingdom, by Joe Hill
Clockworks, by Joe Hill
These are books #4 and 5 in Joe Hill’s graphic novel series, Locke and Key. I discovered this series last year, and fell in love with it. The artwork is fantastic, and the story is truly captivating due to the mystery of the keys and the house. Clockworks gives you the background story, and it’s probably my favourite in the series so far because it’s heartbreaking. I can’t wait to read the final book in the series!
I’m now on a book buying ban, although I’ll definitely be buying at least two books per month for Epic Recs and also the book club that I’m a part of. I’m being forced to stick with my ban this time, because I have run out of space on my TBR bookshelves, so that means I have to start reading the books I own to see which ones are worthy of keeping. Hopefully I can stick to it this time!

46 comments on “Book Haul: January 2014

1. Mel@Thedailyprophecy January 30, 2014 4:08 pm

I’m also on a sort of book buying ban. I’ll only allow myself to buy an X amount of books and only books I REALLY want. Like, sequels to series. CROWN OF MIDNIGHT 😀 can’t wait to see what you think about it. I don’t think I’ve heard much about Women of the other world, sounds pretty good :)

Happy reading!

• Amber (Books of Amber) February 1, 2014 9:28 am

This is an excellent plan! How do you decide what you really want, and what you REALLY want, though? XD CROWN OF MIDNIGHT WAS SO GOOD. So much better than I was expecting. You MUST check out Women of the Other World. Fantastic stuff.

• Mel@Thedailyprophecy February 1, 2014 10:24 am

If I feel like MY LIFE ISN’T COMPLETE WITHOUT THIS BOOK, I can buy it. Haha. Most of the times I feel it with all the books, but I’m just going to have to be more careful :’)

2. Tatum Turtle January 30, 2014 7:19 pm

you got the spiderwick chronicles i’m so jealous, i wantssss itttssssss *gollum voice* also that ‘a breath of frost’ book looks quite good, frozen au y/y?

• Amber (Books of Amber) February 1, 2014 9:28 am

You should be, they only cost £3 ^___^ Ha, I don’t know about a Frozen AU, but you can have it to review if you want?

3. Sam (Realm of Fiction) January 30, 2014 9:41 pm

I really loved both Crown of Midnight and Out of the Easy. And ooh. Darren Shan! I used to read a lot of his stuff when I was younger, but haven’t really tried anything in more recent years. I might have a re-read myself. :) Enjoy!

• Amber (Books of Amber) February 1, 2014 9:30 am

I unexpectedly ended up really enjoying Crown of Midnight! I was hesitant because I didn’t like Throne of Glass, but it pulled through. Darren Shan was my idol back in high school. I love his stuff!

4. Ellie Grace February 1, 2014 12:23 pm

Woah that’s a lot of books! I’m jealous you got A Breathe of Frost :O Enjoy your book haul!

• Amber (Books of Amber) February 2, 2014 9:46 am

Haha yeah. February’s book haul definitely won’t be as packed. I’ve pretty much stopped buying books!

5. Kimi @ Geeky Chiquitas February 1, 2014 12:37 pm

Wow! So many pretty books! Can I live in your bookshelf? 😀 haha! Oh and I am so jealous I also want a Doctor Who book! Enjoy your goodies! :)

-Kimi at Geeky Chiquitas

• Amber (Books of Amber) February 2, 2014 9:47 am

If you can find a space! I’m sooo excited for the Doctor Who book. I’m going to watch the show from the beginning, including Classic Who, and read the stories while I go. Hopefully it’ll be fun!

6. Grace Fonseca February 1, 2014 2:07 pm

Breathe of Frost has such an awesome cover. I see lots of lovely books in your haul. Women of the Other World is a fantastic series. Have you been watching the new Sci-Fi show Bitten which is based on those books.

Grace
    Books of Love

• Amber (Books of Amber) February 2, 2014 9:48 am

Yes, I’ve been watching the show! In fact, the show is what propelled me into starting the book series. Lauren had been trying to get me to read it for ages, and I just had to read the first book before the show started. It was a great decision!

7. Judith February 1, 2014 3:21 pm

“BESTEST FRIENDS” GOODBYE ;_______;

Book haul posts are the best. I love them. I also love that edition of the Iliad, I need to get it for myself (and more importantly: the Odyssee).

• Amber (Books of Amber) February 2, 2014 9:49 am

YOU’RE AS EMOTIONAL AS I AM.

It’s such a pretty edition, I love it. Beauuuuuutiful.

8. Ailsa February 1, 2014 4:10 pm

Wow, that’s a whole lot of books! And so many that I like :)
    I loved the Spiderwick Chronicles when I read them, fun quick reads. I’ve had to read The Iliad so many time in classes (I study classics at uni), I hope you like that one. And I really need to read the Sarah Maas books, they sound so good!

Thanks for visiting my blog :)
    ~Ailsa from The Book Bundle

• Amber (Books of Amber) February 2, 2014 9:49 am

I’ve heard that they’re adorable! I can’t wait to start the series. And I’ve never actually read The Iliad in full. I know, I know. Fail. But that’s going to change this year!

9. tigerlilyrachel.com February 1, 2014 4:24 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed The Naturals. I read that one a few weeks/months ago (I can’t remember lol) and really liked it, which was a pleasant surprise. And awww, The Boyfriend List! I loved those books when I was in high school. I hope you love the books you got!

• Amber (Books of Amber) February 2, 2014 9:50 am

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it as well! It was such a quick read, and Cassie was brill.

10. Tsukikomew February 1, 2014 6:45 pm

Oh…Bitten. I love that book. I’m about to start the tv show too! Happy reading!

Tsuki’s STS

11. Heather Topham Wood February 1, 2014 6:59 pm

Thanks for stopping by my STS! Wow, what a great haul! Dare Me and The Naturals are both on my TBR lists. Enjoy!

• Amber (Books of Amber) February 2, 2014 9:51 am

The Naturals was surprisingly good! I really enjoyed it, and am definitely looking forward to the sequel.

12. Alyssa Susanna February 1, 2014 7:34 pm

Woahhhh, lots and lots and lots and lots! I know you said you haven’t done one in a while but WOAHHHHH books! I don’t even know where to start! I think the only one of these books I’ve read is Crown of Midnight, and while I didn’t love that one, I definitely want to read Heir of Fire. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed/have enjoyed all of your new reads!

Have a fabulous weekend!

Check out my STS post!

• Amber (Books of Amber) February 2, 2014 9:52 am

AND I missed a pile out by accident. Haha. The ending of CoM was sooo good, I’m very excited to see what happens in HoF.

• Amber (Books of Amber) February 2, 2014 9:55 am

I’m so excited about the Doctor Who book! And The Naturals is really good, I hope you enjoy it when you get it.

13. Cait February 1, 2014 9:18 pm

Spiderwick is my secret obsession. They’re just so cute and fun to read! (I’d like to own them…aren’t great bargains at second-hand shops amazing?!!) I loved Unwind, but I have to reread it (it’s been so long) before I read the rest. Kind of haven’t gotten around to that. XD Oh! My sister loved The Naturals. I have Throne of Glass on my TBR right now. :) Thanks for stopping by my StS! And your blog looks awesome, by the way!

• Amber (Books of Amber) February 2, 2014 9:56 am

Or not-so-secret now XD I’m very excited to start it, as I’ve heard they’re adorable. Your sister has good taste! You’re most welcome, dearie. And thank you!

14. Jennifer Bielman February 2, 2014 7:30 am

Wow, so many great books. Heard great things about The Naturals.

15. Elisa February 2, 2014 9:41 am

Wow what a great haul!
    I really want to read The Naturals, it sounds really interesting since I’m a fan of Criminal Minds, hehe.
    I hope you’ll enjoy them all. Thank you for stopping by! =)

• Amber (Books of Amber) February 2, 2014 9:59 am

I recently started watching Criminal Minds from the beginning, and it’s such a good show! I’m loving it. But I’m only on season one, so I need to hurry up!

16. chucklesthescot February 2, 2014 11:17 am

Ooh the Saga of Darren Shan! I liked quite a few of the books in the series and I’ve just read and reviewed The Saga of Larten Crepsley this month which I enjoyed reading. Nice book haul, hope you enjoy them and thanks for visiting me!

17. yaescapefromreality February 2, 2014 2:58 pm

I’ve had The Naturals for a week or so but I haven’t read it yet, I really need to. Quite enjoyed Dare Me, it’s definitely different. And The Flame…I need to read this one soon, I love this series and want to find out how it all ends! The Lake of Dead Languages is really good, I love Carol Goodman. Almost all of her books are set in boarding schools, which I love. I recently read her first YA, Blythewood, which I loved. Have fun reading! ~Pam

18. April February 2, 2014 6:17 pm

Oh my gosh, this post has me really wanting to start up those Kelly Armstrong Books again. I stopped at book 4 I believe.

Happy reading! STS

19. Reviews from a Bookworm February 2, 2014 6:44 pm

Great haul! You have so many great books this week; I am super jealous of Flame as I really want to get that one myself. I hope you enjoy all of your books & thanks for stopping by my post :)

20. the NerdHerd February 2, 2014 8:48 pm

Lots of great books! Especially Crown of Midnight, and UnSouled! Hope you enjoy all your great reads!
    Thanks for visiting my StS!

21. Pauline February 4, 2014 12:08 pm

Lots of awesome books! :) Happy reading! 😀
    Thanks for dropping by my STS 😀

22. Richa Parande February 9, 2014 8:51 am

Ohh that’s a lot of books! Glad you loved The Naturals too :)
    And I really need to start the Throne of Glass series.
    Thanks for stopping by xx