Feedback jkt des3.indd

Release Date: October 2, 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Source: Bought
Goodreads Stars: 3
Rating: Enjoyable

Buy the Book: Amazon UK

Benson Fisher escaped from Maxfield Academy’s deadly rules and brutal gangs.

Or so he thought.

But now Benson is trapped in a different kind of prison: a town filled with hauntingly familiar faces. People from Maxfield he saw die. Friends he was afraid he had killed.

They are all pawns in the school’s twisted experiment, held captive and controlled by an unseen force. As he searches for answers, Benson discovers that Maxfield Academy’s plans are more sinister than anything he imagined—and they may be impossible to stop. – Goodreads

Daph sent me the first book in this duology for my birthday late last year, and I absolutely devoured it. I was super excited to get to this one because Variant ended on an epic cliffhanger, and I couldn’t wait to see what new mysteries the characters would unravel next. So Daph and I planned a readalong, and we read this together in just a few hours. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed by Feedback. It didn’t live up to my expectations at all.

The action scenes were, of course, very well done. They were my favourite part of the novel. Benson spent a lot of his time trying to figure out ways to escape the village he found himself in, as well as trying to convince the other teenagers that they shouldn’t just settle for this life. This made for some great fight scenes, a couple of shoot outs, and a breathtaking climax. Until the great reveal was, well, revealed.

What even was that ending? I read over it a couple of times after finishing the book and I still don’t understand it. It was the strangest ending I have ever read, and to break my heart even more, there isn’t going to be another book! I cannot believe this series ended the way it did. Nothing was wrapped up, barely anything was explained, and there was a lot of mystery still to be looked into. It felt as though the villain was hinting at events that were to happen in the sequel. Except there isn’t a sequel!

I kind of wish I had stopped reading this series after Variant. It was such an amazing book, and definitely a read I would have gone back to if I needed something fast paced and thrilling. Unfortunately, I kind of feel like Feedback has tainted my love for the first book.

I would compare the ending to Feedback to a sentence stopping before its completion. It’s as though Wells simply came to a halt mid-sentence, and

Yeah, like that.

If you are a fan of Variant, then honestly I would recommend stopping there. This is a flop sequel, and while the action and Benson’s character were enjoyable, the ending will leave you raging. I’m still annoyed by it, and I read this months ago.

16 comments on “Feedback by Robison Wells

1. Liz March 14, 2013 5:09 pm

Oh no! I read Variant last year and really enjoyed it, but haven’t picked up Feedback yet. Now I’m thinking maybe I should keep it that way. That sounds like a very frustrating ending.

• Amber (Books of Amber) March 20, 2013 2:57 pm

I definitely wouldn’t recommend reading this one if you liked Variant so much. You’ll be so disappointed :(

• Cade Muerhoff February 5, 2014 9:18 pm

I believe its a good book but im not gunna finish reading it if everyone says the end sucks because the end of Variant left so much to be found out and if FEEDBACK is going to be the same im not reading it

• Jacob December 9, 2016 9:07 pm

I just read it and it was AWESOME. I loved it.

• Jacob December 9, 2016 9:08 pm

I just read Feedback and IT WAS AWESOME!!!! Totally worth reading.

• Jacob December 9, 2016 9:10 pm

Sorry that it practically came out twice. Technical difficulties.

2. Christina March 14, 2013 5:38 pm

Oh boy. All of the reviews I’ve seen of this one have been agreed on this one being far inferior to Variant, which I only liked. Unfortunately I have this one, so I guess I’ll read it. Sigh.

3. Christine D. March 14, 2013 7:42 pm

This really sucks. I would be traumatized if a series I was enjoying ended so drably. Why do authors punish their patrons like that? Ugh.

• Amber (Books of Amber) March 20, 2013 2:58 pm

I am scarred for life. I’m planning on reading Wells’ next series, I just pray that it ends better than this one. It was AWFUL.

4. Renae M. March 15, 2013 3:34 am

I’m honestly not sure what was going on with this ending either. I finished it and was all excited, reading for book 3. Except there ISN’T a book 3, so what the heck?! I did like this a lot—about the same as Variant—but the ending and lack of a third installment kind of ruined it for me. Sad.

• Amber (Books of Amber) March 20, 2013 2:59 pm

Right?! I was searching on the internet for a third book, but Wells said that the series was a duology. ERM, WHAT?!

5. younGULLY abdulahi May 16, 2013 3:39 am

what on earth happened in the end. I got confused man what the heck why did the guy say they were free to go. damn

6. ...... November 16, 2014 8:44 am

i do really feel the same way. i was like ‘what happened to other trapped kids?! what happened to them after they escaped?!’ i really wished that there was a third book for that but i think the ending was nothing we really enjoyed because,as far as i can remember, the author was having a very terrible that time…he has mental sickness and it seems it kinda destroyed his focus to make the story? so yeah….

7. Enrique May 6, 2015 2:48 pm

I enjoyed reading Feedback as much as I enjoyed reading Varient. The twist behind the storyline is extremely intriguing, which allures me more than a moth to a flame.
    Sadly, things doesn’t always end the way you intend them to, so stop moaning. It was a great book.

• Amber May 6, 2015 9:57 pm

Good for you. I won’t stop moaning because this is my review in which I talk about things that I do and don’t like. Thanks for reading. Bye now.