Top Ten Books I Read in 2012

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
This list wasn’t as hard to put together as I thought it would be! After reading over one hundred books, I was expecting to have a tough time picking out favourites. Instead, I was able to come up with a top ten list that I am pretty happy with! These are in no particular order, though. I couldn’t force that upon myself!
I had been told that this was good, but I wasn’t expecting it to be THAT good. This was my first All Time Favourite of the year. I loved every second of it!
Second Chance Summer was beautiful and heart wrenching. I cried throughout the last fifty pages. So good!
Unwind had been recommended to me by several people in the blogosphere, so I bought it months and months ago. I finally got around to reading it in August, and I fell in love. Shusterman is an awesome writer!
Kresley Cole was a new author to me when I picked this up. I hadn’t read any of her adult books, but now that I’ve read and adored this I think that I just might! Love the characters and mythology in this one.
Anyone following me on Twitter or Goodreads will know that it took me ages to get into this one. There were no speech marks! But I soldiered on and ended up loving it. I really need to make some room to read Rebel Heart!
I wasn’t going to include sequels but I just had to with this one. Mara Dyer #2 is every bit as good as the first book, if not a tinsy bit better!
I picked this one up on a total whim. I thought, “Hey it’s set in college, let’s just read it for some fun” and I eneded up LOVING it. I’ve read all three books in the series this year, and I can’t wait to get to the fourth!
As always, I couldn’t make a list without including a book by Ms. Vincent. I love her books! Soul Screamers is one of my favourite series, so… yeah. Can’t believe it’s ending next year!
This one has received a lot of mixed reviews, but I really liked it. I loved the twist that was in there, and how everything connected together in the end!
This was recommended to me ages ago by Daph from Loving Books, and I finally got to it this year. IT WAS AMAZING. I’m gonna be reading the rest of the trilogy in 2013, once I’ve bought Monsters of Men. EEP!

78 comments on “Top Ten Books I Read in 2012

1. Trinity 18/12/2012 5:46 am

I loved Knife of Never Letting Go too! So good. I haven’t read any other (except SCS which was ok) but great list πŸ™‚
    My TTT

2. Michelle 18/12/2012 6:37 am

Second Chance Summer has me written all over it… I love books that make me cry (is that weird??). I will be reading The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer very soon bc my Broke and Bookish Secret Santa sent it to me… I’m very excited after reading what you thought about it πŸ™‚
    Thanks for stopping by My TTT

• Amber (Books of Amber) 19/12/2012 8:32 am

It’s not weird at all, I love books and movies that make me cry as well. EMOTIONS. EEP, I hope you love it! It’s AMAZING.

3. Bekka @ Pretty Deadly Reviews 18/12/2012 6:38 am

Every person in the world ever loves Mara Dyer. I feel like I really need to give it a chance. I do love the covers.

I’m glad you liked The Ivy! I downloaded it when it was a freebie, but I haven’t carved out the time for it yet.

Thanks for stopping by πŸ™‚

Bekka
    Pretty Deadly Reviews

• Amber (Books of Amber) 19/12/2012 8:33 am

You should definitely give it a go! I’ve only met a couple of people who haven’t enjoyed it.

I hope you LOVE The Ivy! It’s a great series. I’ve never read anything set in college before, so this was something new and awesome πŸ˜€

4. Rachel 18/12/2012 6:43 am

I haven’t read any of this, but I’ve heard great things about Mara Dyer and Poison Prince. Thanks for sharing and stopping by!

Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf

5. marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings 18/12/2012 6:48 am

oh oh yes love the Mara Dyers they are so stinking awesome. And the knife of never letting go is one of those on my tbr that I keep on forgetting about thanks for stopping by my TTT this week

• Amber (Books of Amber) 19/12/2012 8:37 am

Yessssssss, I love them! I always forgot about The Knife of Never Letting Go as well, until I was basically forced to pick it up by a friend of mine. I hope you remember to pick it up soon πŸ˜‰

6. Dea S. 18/12/2012 6:51 am

Great list! It’s a good decision to buy Monster of Men first before starting on The Ask and the Answer πŸ˜‰

• Amber (Books of Amber) 19/12/2012 8:38 am

Hehe, good to know I’m making the right call! I wish I had bought them all together, because even the ending of The Knife was a giant cliffy XD

7. Luoqi :) 18/12/2012 7:35 am

Thanks for stopping by my TTT! I have The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer and The Knife of Never Letting Go on my TBR but haven’t gotten my hands on them yet. Great list! Adding the books to my TBR list πŸ™‚

8. Stephanie 18/12/2012 8:42 am

I loved the Unbecoming of Mara Dyer and really need to get a hold of the Evolution. I’m reading Unwind right now and am loving it! If I finished it before today, it would have definitely been on my list!

• Amber (Books of Amber) 19/12/2012 8:39 am

Evolution is even better, in my opinion! I think you’re going to love it. YEESSS, I’m so glad you’re enjoying Unwind!

9. Debby 18/12/2012 9:11 am

Unwind somehow slipped my mind, but recently made its way onto my TBR list. Everyone loves it, so I really need to get around to it. Great list! I haven’t read anything on it though, haha, so this is a good reminder for me.

• Amber (Books of Amber) 19/12/2012 8:39 am

It is AMAZING. I hope you manage to read it soon, because it is truly one of the best YA books I’ve ever read πŸ™‚

10. Roxanne Gillies 18/12/2012 9:49 am

I really have to read the Mara Dyer books soon! It seems like everyone who’s read the series loves it.

• Amber (Books of Amber) 19/12/2012 8:40 am

I’ve only met a couple of people who haven’t loved it, so you should have high hopes XD

11. The Readingista 18/12/2012 1:07 pm

This is such a great list. I loved The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, but have not cracked open my copy of The Evolution of Mara Dyer. I am glad to see The Knife of Letting Go make your list. I have a copy on my Kindle. I will have to read it.

• Amber (Books of Amber) 19/12/2012 8:41 am

Thanks! YES, I’m glad you loved Mara Dyer! Evolution is aweeeeesome, so I hope you get to it soon. On the other hand, the ending is INSANE, so maybe waiting a bit longer is the best idea so you don’t have to wait so long for book three? πŸ™‚

12. Dreams 18/12/2012 1:44 pm

Great list! Some of those are on my to read list. Maybe I’ll get to read them next year.

My list

13. ACReads 18/12/2012 2:37 pm

Holy crap… You read over 100 books? You’ve been busy! I loved The Knife of Never Letting Go!

• Amber (Books of Amber) 19/12/2012 8:42 am

Yep, this is what happens when you can’t get a job πŸ™‚ I’m glad you loved it!

14. Natalie 18/12/2012 4:59 pm

I have been meaning to read the Mara Dyer books and Patrick Ness for a while now, so I’m glad to see they made your list!

Also, thanks for checking out my blog!

• Amber (Books of Amber) 19/12/2012 8:42 am

You’re welcome! πŸ™‚

I hope you get to them soon, because they’re truly amazing!

15. Helène Ouwehand 18/12/2012 5:15 pm

I really need to start the Mara Dyer Books! I’ve heard so many amazing things about them! One of the books on my list for next year!

Thanks for stopping by!

• Amber (Books of Amber) 19/12/2012 8:43 am

HEHE! I hope you love the series when you read it. I’m excited to read the second book!

16. ~Sara @ Just Another Story 18/12/2012 6:24 pm

I keep hearing all these great things about Unwind and The Knife of Never Letting Go. I really want to read them. I am glad you liked both of them. The Mara Dyer Series is very good isn’t it? I really enjoyed them.

Great list, and thanks for stopping by my TTT.

• Amber (Books of Amber) 19/12/2012 8:44 am

They’re soooo good. And YES, Mara Dyer is fantastic. I’m glad you’re a fan as well! πŸ˜€

17. Jasprit 18/12/2012 6:37 pm

Oh some great books in your list Amber! I hate to admit it but I haven’t read a single one! πŸ™ I definitely need to pick up Ness’ Chaos Walking Series, Second Chance Summer and Michelle Hodkin’s books too. I will definitely try to get to these next year! πŸ™‚

• Amber (Books of Amber) 19/12/2012 8:45 am

I hope you manage to get to them next year! I’d love to see what you think of them all πŸ™‚

18. Michael @ The Bookshelf Review 18/12/2012 6:48 pm

Awesome list. I haven’t read any of them but I want to read the Mara Dyer series and I have Unwind on my shelf to read. Thanks for sharing and visiting my TTT. =]

19. Loving Books 18/12/2012 9:11 pm

Yay my stalking you to read The Knife of Never Letting Go paid off! MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

Also I’ll be giving Mara Dyer another go in 2013 – hopefully I’ll be able to get into it then πŸ™‚

• Amber (Books of Amber) 19/12/2012 8:46 am

I HAD TO BECAUSE YOU JUST WOULDN’T STOP! But I’m glad you were so persistent XD

I’m so sad that you couldn’t get into Mara Dyer πŸ™ NEXT YEAR WILL BE THE YEAR! Hopefully.

20. Danica Page 18/12/2012 10:08 pm

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I replied to your comment there. Also, I’m dying to read nearly all of these. I’m so jealous that you’ve been able to read all of them.

21. alexandrasscribblings 18/12/2012 10:18 pm

Oooh, completely agree with the Mara Dyers – I’m the same, I’d heard a lot about #1 (mostly about Noah Shaw) before I finally got around to picking it up, and I wasn’t even half-way through before I decided I NEEDED #2. And Rachel Vincent is such an amazing author. I love the way her characters make mistakes and have to suffer the consequences and – even though it’s fantasy, it’s all so, so real.

• Amber (Books of Amber) 19/12/2012 8:50 am

Great to meet another Mara Dyer fan! I LOVE IT SO MUCH. And a Rachel Vincent fan too *cries* She’s fantastic. I totally agree, the way she writes is just… indescribable.

22. Susanne 18/12/2012 10:39 pm

I have heard so many great things about The Ivy and Poison Princess. Thanks for stopping by!

23. Jess (Gone with the Words) 18/12/2012 11:23 pm

I have not read any of these! BUT!! They are FOR SURE going to be read in 2013!!! I’m especially excited to see Poison Princess in there because the concept sounds so cool!

• Amber (Books of Amber) 19/12/2012 8:51 am

EEP! I hope you manage to read ALLLLL of them because, seriously, best books ever. Obviously XD Poison Princess was so unique.

24. Mirsada 18/12/2012 11:25 pm

You have an awesome list! I loved The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer and can’t wait to read its sequel. I still need to read Poison Princess, which I am excited about. Heard lots of great things about it=] The rest of your books..I need to add them to my TBR list cause the sound awesome=]

• Amber (Books of Amber) 19/12/2012 8:52 am

I hope you get to it soon, because the sequel is amazing! As is Poison Princess, which EVERYONE should read πŸ™‚

25. The Book Belles 19/12/2012 12:03 am

I also cried during Second Chance Summer, it was such an amazing story πŸ™‚ Blood Red Road sounds really good. I want to read that eventually. Great list!

26. @HarleyBearBooks 19/12/2012 12:10 am

I read 100 books too and thought it would be hard to pick, but you’re right. It was sooo easy! I can’t wait to read Evolution of MD! Thanks for stopping by today

• Amber (Books of Amber) 19/12/2012 8:54 am

Yay! I’m glad you had an easy time too XD And EEP! I hope you get to it soon because OHMYGOD it’s amazing.

27. Janus Vielle Aragones 19/12/2012 2:39 am

Blood Red Road! O yes! I totally love that one.. not the 2nd book though (Rebel Heart), hated Lugh and Saba there. Anyhoo, Poison Princess is on my TBR, I should move that up a notch.

Thanks for stopping by my top ten! πŸ™‚

Janus @ The Blair Book Project

• Amber (Books of Amber) 19/12/2012 8:56 am

Aw, no! Sorry you didn’t like it, that’s such a shame. I’m a bit worried about reading it now because characters are an important contribution and usually determine whether I love or despise the book. YES, I hope you love Poison Princess!

• Amber (Books of Amber) 19/12/2012 8:58 am

It’s awesome! I hope you get to all the books soon. Too many books, so little time!

28. InkkReviews 19/12/2012 6:14 am

hum, i have the ivy on my kindle.. haven’t read it yet, but you have totally motivated me to !!! great list, and thanks for check out our TTT – katie @ Inkk

29. Samantha Stewart 19/12/2012 9:37 am

I’ve only read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, but every other book on your list is in my TBR list! Hopefully I’ll get to the next year πŸ™‚
    Great list! πŸ™‚
    Samantha @ The Secret Life of a Bookworm

30. Book Lover Recommends 19/12/2012 9:40 am

I have to take a look at the Mara Dyer books some time soon, they sound really good.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog πŸ™‚

31. LHughes 19/12/2012 11:28 am

I loved Unwind! Have you read the sequel that just came out? Unwholly? I hope to read it over the holidays, but my mom already did and said it’s AMAZING.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    Lauren @ Hughes Reviews

32. Christina 19/12/2012 1:23 pm

I’ve only read Unwind and Blood Red Road, but both were great. Blood Red Road, especially. I read it a few months ago, and, holy cow, I never thought I could love a book written in dialect.

I really want to read Second Chance Summer!

33. ohdamnbooks 19/12/2012 3:06 pm

OMG I remember reading Unwind. It was so fascinating – especially since I can see it totally happening. The Evolution of Mara Dyer was so good too, a lot better than The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer in my opinion.
    Thanks for stopping by My TTT! πŸ˜€

34. Megan Monell 19/12/2012 3:35 pm

I haven’t read any of them, but most of them are sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. Good to know they made your top ten list! Thanks for stopping by!

35. Yay for Mara Dyer! The Unbecoming and The Evolution are the only two I’ve read on your list, but they are also my favorite YA books. I really want to start the Soul Screamers series and read Second Chance Summer. All of your picks sound awesome; great list!
    Thanks for sharing and for stopping by πŸ™‚

36. Courtney Reads A Lot 19/12/2012 5:16 pm

Ahhhh loved Blood Red Road and The Knife of Never Letting Go! I’m checking out The Ivy and Second Chance Summer. They look really good! Great list Amber!

37. Judith 19/12/2012 7:46 pm

Ohhh, I want to read pretty much all of these but haven’t read any of them πŸ™ Second Chance Summer and the Mara Dyer series seem truly amazing! Need to check them out soon! Awesome list!
    Thanks for stopping by πŸ™‚

38. Jenny 20/12/2012 2:13 am

Mara Dyer! Mara Dyer!! Loved them both.
    I also loved Blood Red Road, but Rebel Heart not as much. But I still look forward to what Moira will do in the last book.

Jenny @ Book Sojourner

39. Clover 21/12/2012 11:50 am

So many good books there! I loved Second Chance Summer! And Mara Dyer! And Blood Red Road. And oh man, you’re going to love the rest of the Chaos Walking trilogy. I swear to god, Monsters of Men had my heart POUNDING SO FAST that I was actually worried.

40. Hollie 21/12/2012 1:05 pm

I loved Second Chance Summer! I’ve got Mara Dyer sat on my bookshelf, so I’ll be reading it soon, along with Blood Red Road. Great list!

41. Myra White 22/12/2012 2:12 am

I can’t believe I haven’t read any of these books! Most of them I have sitting on my wishlist, I even have Blood Red Road sitting beside my bed, I just haven’t gotten around to reading any yet! Awesome list and thanks for stopping by.

Myra @ Pieces of Whimsy

42. Iris 22/12/2012 11:42 am

Patrick Ness is on your list!!! You can look forward to the rest of the trilogy being even better. The Ask and the Answer is my particular favourite.

43. Belle of the Literati 23/12/2012 2:16 am

Oh my gosh. The Knife of Never Letting Go…absolutely amazing! I binge read the series in less than a week. I couldn’t stop. SO GOOD! Fantastic list!

44. Liza (Reading with ABC) 30/12/2012 12:53 am

Goodness, I’ve only read Blood Red Road from your list. I do have some of these though.

Thanks for stopping by!