You might have heard about my most recent adventure, when I travelled to Amsterdam for the first time ever to see Judith for the first time ever. We had been talking about it for ages but back in September I suddenly got itchy feet and decided I needed to book a spontaneous trip somewhere. I was considering Paris but then I remembered that Judith is only a 45 minute plane ride away from me and so then it happened.
- I found Judith at the airport and there were lots of almost tears but I managed to pull myself together because I never cry.
- We took a boat trip around the canals, and while we couldn’t hear what the tour guide/recordings were saying, we made our own fun and planned a heist concerning some diamonds.
- We met up with Rinn (who I had met before) and Mel (who I hadn’t) and we all went to lunch at the library. Unfortunately, the balcony was closed so we didn’t get to enjoy the view of the city while we ate, but the food was AMAZING which made up for it.
- The four of us went book shopping where we were called childish for laughing at the infamous Penis Pokey book (because it’s a very serious book and not fun at all) and none of us bought anything because we’re all on bans right now.
- After saying goodbye to Rinn and Mel, Judith and I went back to her house where I met her family, lost at Mario Kart, and made Judith watch A Perfect Getaway.
- We went into Amsterdam again and decided to rent bikes (Discount Bikes is the place to go if you’re ever in need, by the way). We cycled to the I AMSTERDAM sign, where is was bloody crowded, and then rode around the Vondelpark, which might be my favourite place in the entire city. We decided to be children for a few minutes and climbed the giant climbing frame.
- We had Nutella waffles and pancakes for lunch and OH MY GOD they were heaven. I will be going back to Amsterdam just for that shop.
- There was more riding involved where we went to the padlock bridge, scouted out some second hand books, and got lost in west Amsterdam.
- Then we took the bikes back, got some Belgian chips/fries/pis and went to the airport.
- WHICH WAS A TRAUMATIC EXPERIENCE BECAUSE JUDITH WOULDN’T FIT INTO MY HAND LUGGAGE.
The main thing to take away from this post is that Judith is the best person and I am so happy to have stumbled onto her blog through a meme two years ago. I talk to her every single day and I honestly don’t think I would have bothered to keep blogging without Judith (and all of my other bestest friends) to pull me out of slumps every single time.
Another thing you should take away from this post is Amsterdam is beautiful and the people (when they’re not in bookshops) are lovely and so relaxed. Definitely consider going there when you get the chance – it’s not all about drugs and prostitutes!