I wasn’t all that invested in the book, which I read when it was first released, so I didn’t go into this movie with many expectations. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the movie, although it did have some flaws in the execution.
characters & casting
EVA GREEN. That should just about sum it up. Eva Green was excellent, of course. I really liked all of the adult actors, actually. Samuel L. Jackson was a lot of fun to watch as the villain, and then there was Judi Dench <3. The main, Asa Butterfield, was alright. He didn’t really stand out at all.
To be honest, I don’t really remember much of the book. Ha.
– The special effects with the children’s powers.
– The weird comedic parts that were mixed in with the darker parts. It worked quite well.
– Samuel L. Jackson.
– Judi Dench’s death scene because it was so sudden.
– The whole timeline thing wasn’t explained very well. And that’s definitely not because I wasn’t paying attention.
– Very little character growth. Not unlike the book.