2015 Challenges

It’s the New Year and that means it’s finally time to start our 2015 reading challenges! This is my favourite part of the year, no question. The rest of the year simply can’t match up to the excitement I feel over dusting off all of my bookshelves, pages, bookmarks, and preparing them for a fresh start with new challenges.

This year I’ll be taking part in four challenges. One is the same as last year, one is very similar to last year, and the other two are new to me for 2015. How exciting!

Read 100 Books Challenge

Also known as the Goodreads challenge but I will do this with or without Goodreads so I don’t like to call it that. In 2015, I will be aiming to read 100 books. Novellas, graphic novels, and books for school all count towards this. It’s going to be a bit of a struggle this year because I will be studying for an A Level as well as doing quite a bit of travelling and working full time, but I think I can do it.

i love a challenge

Around the World Challenge

Crini came up with this awesome challenge and I’ll be taking part in it this year and taking over the world by reading. I’ve seen a few similar challenges in the past where you challenge yourself to read a book from every continent/timezone or something like that. But Crini is using Google Maps to keep track of her challenge and I think that’s a fantastic idea! You can find my (currently empty) map on my Challenges page.

For this challenge there are also a lot of optional mini-challenges. The ones that I currently have my eye on are:

• Read one book for each continent
  • Read one book for at least five US states (I came up with this one myself)
  • Visit at least two of the most famous landmarks in the world
  • Visit at least ten countries

let's travel

TBR Reduction Extreme Challenge

This is another challenge by Crini. Last year I took part in a similar challenge where I challenged myself to read a bunch of books from my TBR pile. Books that I had bought before 2014. I did pretty well, and I wanted to step it up this year because my TBR bookshelves (yes, I have bookshelves) are currently insane. So Crini came to my rescue with this challenge and her spreadsheets, which I will be using to keep track of my epic reduction skills.

My goal for each month will be to reduce my TBR by five books. I think this can be done quite easily? As long as I don’t get into any giant reading slumps. I’ve recently cut down on my book buying so I don’t think that’ll be much of a problem.

bring it on

Retellings Challenge

Mel is hosting this challenge for this year, which I think is fantastic because it fits with her blog perfectly! The goal is to read books that are retellings, fairytale or otherwise, and to have fun doing it. There are different levels involved:

-Prince Charming: 1 – 4 books.
-Magic Mirror: 5 – 9 books.
-Big Bad Wolf: 10 – 15 books.
-The Wise Brave Princess: 16 – 20 books.
-Wicked Fairy Godmother: 21 – 25 books.
-Bluebeard: you are killing it! 26+ books.

While I was initially very hesitant to do it, I’ve decided to go with The Wise Brave Princess because it’s what Bellamy Blake would want me to do. (NB. the level is actually called The Wise Princess but I had to make it fit with The 100 because BELLARKE.)

brave princess

This means I’ll have to read at least 16 retellings of some sort. I’m nervous as hell, but it’s a challenge so it’s meant to be a little difficult, no? I have three books picked out for it already, which I have included on the Challenges page, and I’m about to go and have another look through my bookshelves to see what I have.

Which challenges are you doing this year? Let me know in the comments below! I’d love to discover some different ones and perhaps consider putting them on my list!

16 comments on “2015 Challenges

1. Sana // artsy musings of a bibliophile January 1, 2015 1:09 pm

Bellamy Blake: Improving reading lives since 2014.

Haha seriously, though, it will be a challenge to read 16 retellings. Still if anyone could do it, it’d be you.

I really want to take part in TBR Reduction Extreme Challenge but I don’t want to fail so let’s see. I mean I only have until today to register…
    Sana // artsy musings of a bibliophile recently posted…Monthly Recap: DecemberMy Profile

• Amber January 1, 2015 8:31 pm

Bellamy makes everything better with his presence.

It’ll be a hell of a challenge but I’m going to try. And since I’ve posted it, I kind of have to do it now D:

I think you should do it! Choose a smaller number if you have to. It’s better than nothing!
      Amber recently posted…2015 ChallengesMy Profile

2. Rebecca January 1, 2015 2:25 pm

I’ve signed up for DAC, LGBT and Australian Women Writers challenge. And a DIY one I made for myself, with books I’ve been meaning to read.

I’m also co-hosting a new challenge: Dive Into Diversity, supporting diversity in lit! It’s a pretty laid back challenge, and there’s not set no. of books you have to read, though we do hope you challenge yourself to reading at least one diverse book a month. You can find out more about it here: http://readingwishes.blogspot.com.au/2014/12/dive-into-diversity-challenge.html

Good luck with your challenges and happy new year!
    Rebecca recently posted…Hello 2015: What’s Ahead and Challenge ChatMy Profile

• Amber January 2, 2015 11:21 am

I’ve shared the DID challenge with my co-blogger! I think it’s something she would be interested in, and I don’t think she has any challenges on the go at the moment.
      Amber recently posted…2015 ChallengesMy Profile

3. Tanya Patrice January 1, 2015 3:45 pm

Good luck on all your challenges! I’m still finalizing mine, but the Around the World Challenge is looking mighty tempting. I’m trying not to do more than 5 – which is surprisingly hard.

• Amber January 2, 2015 11:22 am

Thank you! I had to limit myself as well and tried to only choose the challenges that I absolutely HAD to do (the TBR and the 100 books one), or ones that have no real set goal (Around the World). Then Mel swooped in and caught me off guard with her Fairytale challenge!
      Amber recently posted…2015 ChallengesMy Profile

4. Mel@thedailyprophecy January 1, 2015 10:41 pm

HAHA, you are awesome enough that you get to wear that special title 😉 It fits with you and I’m happy you decided to join the challenge! If you ever need any recommendations, just shout my name & I think I can come up with something.
    Mel@thedailyprophecy recently posted…January link-up Retelling challenge.My Profile

• Amber January 2, 2015 11:23 am

Thank you, thank you 😀 I will probably come running to you once I’ve run out of books on my shelves!
      Amber recently posted…2015 ChallengesMy Profile

5. Audris @ YA Bookmark January 2, 2015 7:59 am

I love how you manage to incorporate The 100 into everything. I must learn your skills.

I’ll be participating in the Retellings challenge as well, although I don’t know if I’ll be able to be a Brave Princess LOL. But I’m going to try. Just saw the TBR Challenge spreadsheets and OMG they’re amazing!

I hope you complete all your challenges and have an amazing reading year!

• Amber January 2, 2015 11:29 am

It’s a gift, haha. It also means that I’m clearly obsessed. I’m sure you could be a Brave Princess if you tried hard enough! It doesn’t come to everyone as effortlessly as it does to Clarke 😉

Thanks Audris <3
      Amber recently posted…2015 ChallengesMy Profile

6. Crini January 2, 2015 7:44 pm

Whoop! Glad that you’re participating in BOTH of my challenges! 😀
    I had a goal of 5 in 2014 too but only accomplished that every second month! It can be harder than it sounds 😀

I’m participating in Mel’s challenge too and just for myself I’m doing a series challenge where I want to only start 1 series for every 2 I finished.
    Crini recently posted…Review: One Kick by Chelsea CainMy Profile

• Amber January 3, 2015 2:16 am

Yeah I’m not looking forward to the 5 to 1 thing at all but I think it has to be done XD I’m only expecting a couple more books from Christmas and then I’ll be done for a while.

I’m so excited about your challenges!