Top Ten Goals/Resolutions For 2015

TTT HEADER

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the lovely ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish

1. Read 100 books

I set myself this same challenge every year because I like round numbers and so far it has been pretty easy for me to do. Things will be slightly busier this year since I’m studying for an A Level alongside working full time, but I’m hoping I’ll still be able to reach my goal. And hopefully I won’t get into any giant reading slumps like I did at the end of 2014!

2. Pass my driving test

I had driving lessons for a while when I was younger but I gave up on those because they were too expensive at the time. They’re still bloody expensive, at around £26 per hour in my area, but I figure if I don’t pick it up again soon then I’ll just keep putting it off. I really don’t like driving, but it’s handy to have a license. Especially when you’re travelling and need a car to get to places!

brian o'conner

3. Start writing my novel (again)

I started something a few years back during NaNoWriMo but I didn’t get around to finishing it. I want to pick it back up again and start writing from scratch, as I’ve had many more ideas since then. I don’t think I’ll be able to finish it, but as long as I write semi-regularly I will be happy.

4. Pass my A Level

I’m currently self-studying for an A Level in Classical Civilisations, which is basically a fancy title for Ancient History. I’m really excited about this course, as it covers several topics relating to Ancient Rome, Greece, and Persia. I just hope I’ll be able to cover everything! It’s a bit difficult since I’m having to work directly off the specification from the exam board instead of having someone tell me what I need to know, but at the same time I’m loving the challenge and also the extra reading that I have to do for it.

arena burning

5. Reduce my TBR pile

I’m doing this with the help of Crini’s special spreadsheet, which she was kind enough to share. Since starting this blog four years ago, my TBR pile has continued to escalate at a ridiculous rate. I’m currently on a book restriction, and plan on reading at least five of the books that I already own each month. By the end of the year, by TBR should be down by at least sixty books! Fingers crossed.

6. Keep the blog scheduled

At one point in my blogging journey, I had posts scheduled more than a month ahead. I was so proud of myself, and it was really relaxing because I didn’t have to worry about writing a post after work. But now it’s caught up with me and I’m either posting on the day, or only scheduling a few days ahead. I want to ideally get a few weeks ahead so that it takes some of the weight off my shoulders

7. Go to the gym regularly

I started this in 2014, and I want to carry on. My main goal is to go three times a week, although maybe I’ll up it if I find that I have the time. I’ve been really enjoying getting fitter, and I’ve noticed that while I’m not actually losing any weight (and I don’t need to) I am toning up.

rocky

8. Complete my 2015 reading challenges

I’m taking part in quite a few reading challenges this year, many of which are new to me. There is the standard Goodreads challenge, for which I have challenged myself to read 100 books (see #1), as well as Crini’s Around the World Challenge, and her TBR Reduction Extreme Challenge and Mel’s Fairytale Retelling Challenge. I’ve decided not to take part in any Classics challenges this year because I always fail those.

9. Continue practising and learning languages

I don’t know if you knew this already, but I love learning languages. I’ve dabbled in a few over the years, although the only ones I have really stuck with are Spanish (which I am moderately decent at) and German. I dropped French when I was younger because I thought it was boring and had too many accents (don’t hurt me), and I’ve had a look at Danish and Swedish but I haven’t picked those up properly (yet). At the moment, I am learning Dutch, as well as continuing to practise my Spanish so that I don’t lose it. I want to continue this throughout 2015, and hopefully also either visit my family in Spain or go by myself so I can practise speaking Spanish.

spanish

10. Read Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone in Dutch

By the end of 2015, I want my Dutch to be at a level where I can read one of my favourite books in the language. Perhaps with a dictionary to help out with some of the vocabulary. I think this is a pretty tough goal, but it’s giving me something to work towards.

27 comments on “Top Ten Goals/Resolutions For 2015

1. Celine December 30, 2014 12:19 am

Getting my license in 2015 is one of my goals too. Driving sucks, but it’s so useful to be allowed to. What an awesome goal, to read Harry Potter in Dutch! The Dutch translators did a fabulous job. I want to learn more Spanish, and practice my German a bit, maybe read some German books to expand my vocabulary. Good luck with your goals 😀
    Celine recently posted…The Sunday Post #10My Profile

• Amber January 2, 2015 4:21 pm

Good luck with yours as well, Celine! And definitely. I hate driving but once I have my license I will be FREE. I’m very excited to read Harry Potter in Dutch, although I need to build up my vocabulary and learn the weird Dutch rules (or non-rules) first XD
      Amber recently posted…Anticipated Releases: January 2015My Profile

2. Annie December 30, 2014 12:31 am

I definitely want to start working towards getting my license in 2015 as well. But I’m only turning 16 at the end of the year so technically, it’s more like 2016 but well… I’m actually really excited to learn how to drive! I love walking and taking the transit is pretty easy but having a car would be so much more convenient!

#9 is also a resolution of mine except with French instead. It’s a mandatory subject we have to take but I’ve actually started liking it a lot and I figure since I’ve already put so many obligatory years into it, why not just continue and grow better? There are so many accents though but beyond that, there are so many tenses and masculine/feminine we have to learn and UGH, it can be such a nightmare to learn sometimes but I do enjoy it. My speaking isn’t very good so I’m going to work on that specifically.

Anyway good luck on all your resolutions/goals! :)

• Amber January 2, 2015 4:23 pm

I took French up until I was 14, and it was so hard! I’m glad you’re liking it though, and it’s great that you want to keep getting better. My speaking skills are definitely the worst part of all my languages, but I hope to improve. I always get so nervous when speaking and then start tripping over my words!
      Amber recently posted…Anticipated Releases: January 2015My Profile

3. Mel@thedailyprophecy December 30, 2014 1:24 am

I hate driving, but my mother keeps bugging me to get started again and ugh.. I hate driving too, but I bet you’ll be able to pass it in 2015 😀 It’s so exciting that you are joining my challenge! I’m also planning to reduce my TBR pile, to keep my blog scheduled & to go to the gym regularly. I’m always able to help you with your goal to read HP in Dutch!
    Mel@thedailyprophecy recently posted…Reading & Blogging goals 2015.My Profile

• Amber January 2, 2015 4:26 pm

Are you planning on taking it up again? :) I really don’t want to but now that I’ve said it, I suppose I have to! Haha. I plan on continuing to ask you, Judith, and Ellis a bunch of ridiculous Dutch-related questions. Just when you thought you were free…
      Amber recently posted…Anticipated Releases: January 2015My Profile

• Mel@thedailyprophecy January 2, 2015 11:35 pm

I’m not sure yet. My parents still want to pay for it, so that’s pretty awesome.. but at the same time, it puts a lot of pressure and stress on me that I can’t use at this moment. I just don’t feel confident in a car, even when I know I’m not a bad driver. My terrible performance anxiety, ugh.
        Mel@thedailyprophecy recently posted…January link-up Retelling challenge.My Profile

4. Laura Plus Books December 30, 2014 3:33 am

I need to get my license this year as well! I totally know what you mean about driving instructors being way too expensive to hire. I’d make my dad teach me but he’s always busy so he can never find the time. Hopefully by the end of this year I’ll be getting off my learners license and be driving around with a provisional license. So excited! Best of luck with all your blogging, reading and learning goals for 2015!
    Laura Plus Books recently posted…Top 14 Books of 2014My Profile

• Amber January 2, 2015 4:27 pm

I would have to get insured in the car for a family member to teach me, and that would probably cost just as much as an instructor. I really hate the driving laws here sometimes, haha. I once went out with my dad in his girlfriend’s car and he kept trying to change gear for me and I panicked. Good luck with your driving too!
      Amber recently posted…Anticipated Releases: January 2015My Profile

5. Cee December 30, 2014 7:18 am

Eeek, I wish I could magically know how to drive, but alas, nope. I really need to stop putting off learning how to drive. It’ll be really convenient (even tho there’s really good public transportation here).

I wish you luck on your A-Levels! Kick some asses! 😀
    Cee recently posted…2014 YA Book Cover Choice Awards Semi-Finals Voting Begins!My Profile

6. Jolien @ The Fictional Reader December 30, 2014 8:46 am

You’re learning Dutch? That’s so great! (I’m from Belgium, which is why I’m so excited about this one).

I always put my reading goal at 100 as well. I’m able to accomplish it and that way it doesn’t make me stressed about reading. And i haven’t done my driving test either. I’ve had my theoretical license for almost three years which means it’ll expire in April. But driving scares me so much… And I know it’s useful and I would love to have a license, but I’m just afraid.

Good luck with your resolutions!
    Jolien @ The Fictional Reader recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday: Bookish/Blogger ResolutionsMy Profile

• Amber January 2, 2015 4:46 pm

Well, I’m trying to! This is what happens when two of your best friends have Dutch as their first language. You get roped into all sorts of things XD

Yeah, my theory expired a couple of years ago. I just HATE driving.

Thanks, good luck with yours too!
      Amber recently posted…Anticipated Releases: January 2015My Profile

7. Janhvi December 30, 2014 1:53 pm

I definitely want to complete 100 books this year too. Oh and yes, i have my license but I barely drive so I hope to overcome that next year.:) great list!
    here’s our TTT

Janhvi @ The Readdicts
    Janhvi recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday #42My Profile

8. Joy Weese Moll (@joyweesemoll) December 30, 2014 3:40 pm

Great goals! Your Classical Civilisations work sounds challenging but cool. I love the idea of going to Spain to practice your Spanish — what an adventure!

• Amber January 2, 2015 4:49 pm

Thank you! I’m really excited about the A Level. Not so much about actually speaking Spanish, but I would love to go over there :)
      Amber recently posted…Anticipated Releases: January 2015My Profile

9. Kyra December 30, 2014 4:58 pm

I wanted to aim for 100 books but I know school is going to keep me very busy next year so I’m only aiming for 50! I also want to reduce my TBR pile, it’s extremely out of hand at the moment. One of my goals is also to exercise more and get fit!

Good luck with your goals! :)

Kyra @ Blog of a Bookaholic
    My TTT Post!

10. Claire December 30, 2014 6:32 pm

Wow! All those languages are impressive! I’m trying to learn Korean myself, but I’m not exactly the best speaker yet. Reading HP in Dutch would be straight out incredible. If I could read a favorite book in Korean, it would be a validation that I’m doing the right thing, so I wish you the best of luck:) I also want to crack down on my TBR this year, but it’s as if every time I finish a book, another one is added (which is kind of what it is, with all the new releases). I’d still love to make a dent in it. Anyways, good luck with your resolutions and happy new year!:)
    Claire recently posted…Top Ten Goals/Resolutions for 2015My Profile

• Amber January 2, 2015 4:54 pm

I just love languages! This is what happens when you work for a translation company, haha. I would love to learn Korean one day too! Good luck with your goals, Claire! I’m trying not to buy too many new releases this year unless I REALLY need them. I always feel awful when I end up buying so many.
      Amber recently posted…Anticipated Releases: January 2015My Profile

11. Kezia December 31, 2014 7:38 am

Good luck with your driving test! I actually would like to learn how to drive! Next year I’m turning 17 so I can officially get a license :)

I’m planning to know more languages as well! :) Aside from my mother tongue, right now I can only speak English and a very rusty Japanese… I’m hoping that I could pick it up again, and maybe learn other European languages like German or Spanish. I always believe that having the ability to speak a lot of languages is the greatest asset — so go Amber!
    Kezia recently posted…Looking Back on 2014My Profile

• Amber January 2, 2015 4:56 pm

Thanks Kezia! Good luck with yours as well.

I’d love to learn Japanese, although it seems really difficult! I would recommend both Spanish and German. I love them both! Mostly Spanish though because the spelling isn’t as difficult and I think it sounds a little bit nicer XD
      Amber recently posted…Anticipated Releases: January 2015My Profile

12. Crini January 2, 2015 10:40 pm

I didn’t know you learned German! :O
    I actually always wonder why people would do that! XD I hate German and it must be SO HARD to learn (I do suck at learning languages though..)!?

Great goals! I wish I would be able to schedule a month ahead but even though I got better the past couple of weeks, I often tend to stop writing more when I have so many posts scheduled. I hope your idea of a calendar helps because that one got me motivated a lot!
    Crini recently posted…Review: One Kick by Chelsea CainMy Profile

• Amber January 3, 2015 2:19 am

My auntie married a German man and they live near Munich with their kids, so I decided to try to learn. It’s quite easy in terms of vocab but the grammar O_o. I love it anyway 😀

I had the same problem last year when I got ahead with my posts. I would stop once there were about ten posts scheduled. I’m determined not to let that happen this year! I hope the calendar helps you too! I find it so useful. Keep it up 😀

13. Ren January 5, 2015 3:44 am

I am super jealous of your language skills. I regret not investing in languages more in the past so I might dabble with it in the future.

I should really take driving lessons soon but I’m terrified of driving! My parents used to pressure me about it because of how useful it is to have a license, which I understand, but they don’t at the moment because they can’t afford to pay for it and I can’t either. So the pressure is gone, for the moment.

I kind of I wish I could skip the scary learning bit and just wake up knowing how to drive and have a mega cute Herbie car though!
    Ren recently posted…In My BagMy Profile

14. Ren January 5, 2015 3:47 am

Oh, also I wanted to say your a-level sounds awesome!!! Good luck with all of your goals ans thanks for the link to Crini’s mega awesome spreadsheet 😀
    Ren recently posted…In My BagMy Profile