Books in Motion: Most Anticipated Adaptations, Part 1

most anticipated

Rather than posting just reviews and discussions about book adaptations, I thought it would be a good idea to talk about which book to movie adaptations I am looking forward to. There are a bunch of them, so there are probably going to be several parts to this post. Luckily (or unluckily, depending on how you look at it), there are a tonne of books that are currently in the process of being adapted, whether the rights have only just been sold, or if the movie is in post-production. I’m very much looking forward to their release, and being able to talk about them with you all!

1406485936

#1- The Maze Runner

My reason for this is probably obvious to most of you. Aside from the fact that The Maze Runner is one of the first books that I ever reviewed both on my blog and on my Youtube channel (four years ago!), I am an enormous fan of Dylan O’Brien. I think the range that he shows on Teen Wolf is pretty impressive for someone with no prior acting experience, and I am sure that he’s going to be a huge star one day. He’s brilliant! And also very easy on the eyes.

1406486868

#2- Sharp Objects

I read Sharp Objects a couple of months ago and it is one of the creepiest non-horror books I have ever read. It’s dark and very disturbing, and I’m curious to see how they adapt it into a TV movie, especially due to the graphic content. I am also looking forward to Gone Girl but I haven’t read that book yet so can’t include it here.

1406487235

#3- The DUFF

The DUFF is one of my all time favourite books, and I didn’t even know that the movie rights had been sold until Kody posted some movie news. I’m extremely excited for this one because I love a good teen movie, and this story has such a great message. Mae Whitman, aka the woman who voices Katara from Avatar, has been cast as the lead character, Bianca, and I think she is going to do an amazing job with it.

1406487409

#4- The Fifth Wave

Admittedly, I am not a fan of the cast of this movie. I have no idea who the two guys are, and Chloe “YA doesn’t deal with big issues” Moretz is playing the lead character. I can’t stand Moretz’s acting (seriously, someone wipe Carrie from my memory) and I hate that she continues to be cast in YA adaptations when, according to her, Young Adult books are pathetic and all about love triangles. That said, I really enjoyed this book and I’m looking forward to seeing another alien science fiction on the big screen. I’m not expecting it to top Star Trek or Star Wars or the like, but I hope it’s at least entertaining.

1406487707

#5- Mockingjay, Part 1

“If we burn you burn with us.” FUCK YEAH. I have been trying not to think about Mockingjay’s release because it’s still so far away, but I can’t wait to see how this book plays out on the big screen. I’m a bit nervous about where it’s going to leave off; obviously there is going to be a cliffhanger but what is that cliffhanger going to be? Finnick? Peeta? If it’s Finnick then I will break down because I’m so not ready.

Over to you! Are you looking forward to any of these adaptations? Do you have any reservations? And, most importantly, which scenes or relationships are you most excited to see?

11 comments on “Books in Motion: Most Anticipated Adaptations, Part 1

1. Tanya Patrice August 6, 2014 12:39 pm

I’m so looking forward to these movies too! Especially Mockingjay and The Maze Runner. I still haven’t read Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn but it’s definitely on my reading list.

2. Cassidie Jhones August 6, 2014 1:54 pm

I’m looking forward to The Maze Runner and The 5th Wave and I’m also curious about the second part of Mockingjay once I saw the first movie and the first part of this movie. Something that is not here, but I anticipate it a lot is Fallen. I’ve never heard of the Sharp Objects and The Duff, but they sound interesting.

3. Christy August 6, 2014 2:42 pm

So excited for.Mockingjay and The Maze Runner! If I Stay is another one that I can’t wait to see :) I haven’t read the other books but The DUFF has been on my want to read list for a while so I’ll definitely try to read it before the movie!

4. Amanda @ Book Badger August 6, 2014 3:08 pm

I so agree with Mockingjay, I’ve very new to the fandom, but I’m excited. Don’t see why it equates to two films when one would have been enough to fit that book into, but hey, maybe I’m just fed up of part 1 and part 2’s everyone in the film industry. Maze Runner, I need to try that, but still, I wait, no idea why. However, I’ve heard The Duff movie has been changed hugely from the book, I could be wrong, but that’s what I’ve heard. I look forward to you keeping me in the loop with more films upcoming 😉

5. Jennifer @ Live to Read, Love to Read August 6, 2014 7:45 pm

I’m so glad you’re as excited as I am for The DUFF movie! It’s one of my all time favourite books and I can’t wait to see how it turns out. I’ve seen one or two pictures of Bianca and Wesley and I just can’t wait to see the whole movie!

6. Cee August 6, 2014 9:28 pm

SO FUCKING READY FOR THE MAZE RUNNER. DYLANNNNNNNN. LET US SEE YOUR BEAUTIFUL FACE ON THE BIG SCREEN. By far, the best actor on Teen Wolf. Not even a competition. I just hope when he goes to premiere, he does something with that hair. Comic Con look was NAGL.

I AM SO READY FOR MY QUEEN JOHANNA. YESSSSS.

7. Mark Lindberg August 6, 2014 9:31 pm

Definitely looking forward to Mockingjay and The Maze Runner. I’m a bit afraid of what they’re doing to The Giver adaptation–loved the book, but the previews just aren’t doing it for me. I know some people have hated it, but I’m looking forward to the ending of The Hobbit as well this Christmas. (They should have kept the title as “There and Back Again”, though.)

8. Abby @ Enthralling Reads August 8, 2014 6:40 am

*screams* I am SO looking forward to The Maze Runner because 1. Awesome book 2. DYLAN O’BRIEN 3. DYLAN O’BRIEN 4. DYLAN O’YOUWANNABEMYBOYFRIEND 5. HELLA AWESOME CAST!

I am so excited for Fifth Wave though I haven’t read it. There’s something with alien mojos that I am enthralled with!

9. Mel@thedailyprophecy August 8, 2014 10:57 am

I haven’t read The maze runner and I didn’t even know what this book was about. My book club told me about the story and I think it sounds like a great concept for a movie 😀 I’m not a fan of the cast from The 5th wave either and I disliked the book, but I guess it could turn out to be a good movie. MOCKING JAY. I AM SO EXCITED.

10. Sana // artsy musings of a bibliophile August 8, 2014 12:15 pm

‘If we burn you burn with us.’ ASDFGHJKL. I just cannot wait for Mockingjay: Part 1. It’s going to be fucking epic.

Also, The Maze Runner because Dylan o’Brien. Honestly.

And I still need to read Sharp Objects.

11. SnugglingontheSofa August 16, 2014 2:38 pm

SO MUCH GOODNESS. Bloody Chloe Moretz. She seems to be getting cast in everything lately. I am SO EXCITED about the Maze Runner. Its gonna be gooooood. Bit nervous for the DUFF because I’ve heard theyve changed it. I didnt even realise they were doing a movie for the 5th Wave! And <3 for Mockingjay