Book Haul: April 2014

This is going to be a big one because I’m including all of the books that I acquired from the end of February up until last week. Strap yourselves in, and prepare yourselves. And be sure to let me know what you think of these books if you’ve already read them, or which ones you would recommend I read soon!

100_8814

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
Easy by Tammara Webber

I bought these two books in Barnes & Noble when I was in the US! They’re my first ever B&N purchase. I bought them because they were on offer for about $5 each, and I couldn’t leave the store without buyingΒ something.

100_8815

The Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Robin Palmer
Sylo by D.J. MacHale

This was another USA purchase, this time from the airport bookshop. I was a bit upset about having to leave Dee and her family to fly back home to England, so I bought these two books. They had a huge selection at Dulles International, so if you’re ever there be sure to check out the bookshop that’s opposite Chipotle! The guy who owns (runs?) the store was also lovely, and encouraged browsing and photos.

100_8816

Something Real by Heather Demetrios
Something Like Normal by Trish Doller

I didn’t pair these two “Something”‘s up this way on purpose, I promise! But I did pair them up because the duo at Paper Riot forced me into buying them. Something Real is April’s Epic Rec from Judith, and Ellice made me buy Something Like Normal because apparently it’s awesome.

100_8817

How to Love by Katie Cotugno
Geek Girl by Holly Smale
Half Bad by Sally Green
House of Secrets by Chris Columbus and Ned Vizzini

I bought these four books from WH Smith in the town next to my village, since my village doesn’t have a WHS. Back in November I received a Β£25 gift voucher from my company for my birthday, and what better way to spend it than on books? These cost me Β£1.20 all together. Bargain!

100_8818

All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill
Harry Potter en de Steen der Wijzen by J. K. Rowling

These two are gifts from Judith! I had already read All Our Yesterdays, but I didn’t have a finished copy so Judith sent me hers. (She’s a weirdo who didn’t like the book all that much.) And she sent me a Dutch copy of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone because she’s determined to have me learn Dutch!

100_8819

Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
Map of Bones by James Rollins

This is the first of a giant suitcase of books that Tatum gave me when she stayed at my house. I tried to give her a bunch of books in return but she only took a few of them.

100_8820

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner
The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner

More from Tatum. I’m particularly excited to read The Queen’s Thief series because they seem to be a blend of historical and fantasy. My favourite!

100_8821

The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin
Band of Brothers by Stephen E. Ambrose
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

She also gave me three books that she hated. That was nice of her.

100_8822

The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova
The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafta

Tatum also disliked The Swan Thieves, so that’s great. And she spent a year telling me that The Metamorphosis is about a guy who turns into a fly, but I’ve been assured by other people that he turns into a bug instead. Because that’sΒ so much better.

100_8823

The Wilderness by C. J. Harper
Mutant City by Steve Feasey

Lastly, because I’m not showing you my e-book haul, I was sent these two books for review. The Wilderness is the sequel to The Disappeared, which I really enjoyed last year. It was unsolicited, but I hope to fit it into my reading schedule soon. Mutant City is one that I requested because HELLO, SUPERPOWERS.

60 comments on “Book Haul: April 2014

1. Anmiryam 18/04/2014 1:13 pm

I liked Half-Bad a lot! I read an ARC and don’t have a finished copy and probably should pick one up soon. If you are the mood for a slower read, The Name of the Rose is wonderful. I read it back in the 1980s and I can still pull elements of it back up from the depths of memory. There’s a great mysterious library puzzle at its heart and good mysterious library puzzles are worth remembering. I have a copy around here to reread. Enjoy your haul!

• Amber 27/04/2014 12:09 pm

I’ve heard more and more people say that Half Bad isn’t that great, so that’s good to hear!

2. Judith 18/04/2014 1:19 pm

YOU GOT HEART OF DARKNESS HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH GOOD LUCK

I’m determined to read How To Love and Something Like Normal because Ellice is kind of forcing me. Also I need to buy myself a pretty hardcover of Something Real. Also Geek Girl is adorable. Also you need to read Half Bad and tell me if it’s good. Also I think those simple HP paperbacks are very pretty. You better read it.

• Amber 27/04/2014 12:11 pm

UNFORTUNATELY.

Yeah, I was also forced into buying it. I should probably have picked it up for the readathon because it’s a really short book. I didn’t think of that. Something Real is gorgeous, I’m so happy I bought the hardback. The Dutch HP books are CUTE. I’ll read it when Duolingo hurries up and releases Dutch lessons.

3. You need to start The Queen’s Thief series immediately! Ignore all other books until you’ve finished the whole series, they’re just that awesome!

• Amber 27/04/2014 12:11 pm

AHHHHH, okay! I’ll maybe put it on my TBR for May πŸ˜€

4. Krystal @ Books Are My Thing 18/04/2014 1:55 pm

Read A Discovery of Witches ASAP! And then go pick up the second one in anticipating of the third coming out this year πŸ™‚ Half Bad was toted as this great book, but it left me desiring more.

• Amber 27/04/2014 12:22 pm

Is the series that good? Okay, you’ve convinced me! I’m going to have to find the time to read it amongst all the other ones I’m excited about XD

5. Kelly @ Belle of the Literati 18/04/2014 8:36 pm

A DISCOVERY OF WITCHES AND SOMETHING LIKE NORMAL ARE AMAZING! Eep! I’m so excited you bought these!…and the 8 million other books πŸ™‚

• Amber 27/04/2014 12:23 pm

ERMEHGERD I NEED TO HURRY UP AND READ THEM.

6. Juhina 18/04/2014 11:16 pm

what what?! all four for 1.2 pounds? ARE YOU SERIOUS? and omg How to Love is AMAZING! READ READ READ IT!

– Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

• Amber 27/04/2014 12:23 pm

Yep! I love gift vouchers.

7. Valia 18/04/2014 11:58 pm

I freaking love Easy!!!! Such a good story! And I still haven’t read All Our Yesterdays but it’s on my list and I need to get around it soon!! So many great books and so much diversity. Love it!

• Amber 27/04/2014 12:24 pm

Me too! It was so well written. Tammara Webber is a great author! YES, DO IT. AOY is fantastic.

8. Sofia 19/04/2014 11:50 am

All Our Yesterdays is so good! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. πŸ™‚ Great haul – enjoy your lovely books!

• Amber 27/04/2014 12:25 pm

I loved All Our Yesterdays! Such a thrilling read, and THAT ENDING.

9. Nikki 19/04/2014 12:22 pm

Oh, I love Megan Whalen Turner’s books. I hope you enjoy them!

• Amber 27/04/2014 12:28 pm

I hope so too! They sound fantastic.

10. Chrissi Reads 19/04/2014 12:31 pm

Some brilliant books! I think you’ll have a lot of good reads to look forward to. I hope you enjoy them all πŸ™‚

11. Milka 19/04/2014 12:36 pm

Wow, this is a lot of books! I got Geek Girl this week as well πŸ™‚
    Happy reading and have a good weekend!

• Amber 27/04/2014 12:29 pm

Have you read it yet? I’m a bit hesitant to start it!

• Milka 27/04/2014 7:45 pm

Started it, read the first 100 pages or so and just couldn’t get into it. I don’t know, maybe it’s the fact that the narrator is so much younger than me (well like 8 years or something) or that I just found it to be too cliche in some sense… Like she is this uber nerd, socially awkward girl (she hides under tables and such) and then she gets picked up these modeling people. Also, the humor just wasn’t for me – like there’s this stalker guy who vomits on the main character and such and I just couldn’t really keep reading it.

12. Mel@thedailyprophecy 19/04/2014 1:58 pm

I still need to read my copy of Discovery of witches. So many books.. I like the cover from Sylo! How to love sounds good and I love the promise of Half Bad. I can’t wait to see what you think about that. HA, Harry Potter en de steen der wijzen πŸ˜€ I’ve read the first two books from the Queen’s thief & I really liked them. My reviews will be up soon and I can’t wait to see how it’s all going to end. I hope you enjoy them too, happy reading!

• Amber 27/04/2014 12:30 pm

It sounds so good. And YES, the Sylo series has had great covers so far. I’m determined to learn Dutch so I can read HP in different languages. I’m almost there with Spanish XD

13. Mary @SweepingMe 19/04/2014 2:19 pm

I haven’t seen The Discovery of Witches around in so long. It’s still on my wishlist. It’s about time I get it. Enjoy all your wonderful books this week!

Mary

• Amber 27/04/2014 12:30 pm

It sounds fantastic, I can’t wait to read it!

14. Chloe 19/04/2014 2:33 pm

I loved Geek Girl and Half Bad, in fact I recently reviewed that one. Most of the covers of those books look absolutely amazing! I need to read them.

• Amber 27/04/2014 12:31 pm

That’s so good to hear!

15. Pam@YA Escape from Reality 19/04/2014 4:10 pm

So many great books to read! I loved Easy and How to Love. And I’ve heard great things about the Queen’s Thief series, I really should start it. Have fun reading!

• Amber 27/04/2014 12:31 pm

Easy was AMAZING, I’m so happy I finally picked it up *cries*

16. Woah, awesome haul! Half Bad sounds really good, though I’ve been hearing mixed things about it. I hope that you feel differently about it and you enjoy it! Sylo sounds really amazing as well; I love the cover! I hope you enjoy all of your books. πŸ™‚

• Amber 27/04/2014 12:32 pm

Thanks, I hope so too! I really want to love it. And the Sylo series has great covers, I’m in love with them.

17. Holly @ Novel Bliss 19/04/2014 10:42 pm

OMG, this is such an epic book haul! I’ve been wanting to read How To Love and Geek Girl for a while now but I’ve just never gotten around to it! Story of my bookish life, lol. I love the Dutch cover for Harry Potter! It’s so pretty! I have The Corner of Bitter and Sweet but I’ve yet to read it, haha! But I have heard great things about it! πŸ˜€ I hope you enjoy all your new books! Happy reading. πŸ˜€

• Amber 27/04/2014 12:33 pm

Haha, it’s insane, I need to stop buying books. The Dutch covers are SO CUTE. And yesss, I want to get to The Corner of Bitter and Sweet soon. I think it sounds great!

18. Vickie (Under The Mountain) 19/04/2014 10:46 pm

New follower, hi! Wow, you got so many books this week! I love that copy of Discovery of Witches. Mine is a battered paperback with the spine cracked in a gazillion places and I haven’t read it yet. I wasn’t sure if I like it so I got my copy from a charity shop to try it. XD

This week I visited UK’s most beautiful library! Find me Under The Mountain

• Amber 27/04/2014 12:34 pm

Hey hey! Haha, a lot of my books are like that because I love charity shop shopping. It pains me because I like my books to be perfect, but still. For Β£1 you can’t be too picky!

• Amber 27/04/2014 12:35 pm

Easy was such a good read, I love Tammara Webber’s writing!

• Amber 27/04/2014 12:36 pm

Thanks, I hope I like it as much as everyone else seems to!

19. Natalie Crown 20/04/2014 7:44 am

I just read Half Bad and LOVED it but not many others seem too. So I’m excited to see what you think of that!

And I LOVE the Queen’s Thief series!!!

• Amber 27/04/2014 12:37 pm

I trust your opinion (ignoring the Patrick Ness situation) so I am going to pick up Half Bad soon and hopefully ADORE IT.

• Natalie Crown 29/04/2014 9:46 pm

Ahhhh pressure. Fingers crossed!

Funnily enough…the style of writing actually kinda reminded me of Ness! Looking forward to seeing what you think of that XD

20. Jessica @ Rabid Reads 20/04/2014 12:10 pm

At first I was distracted by all the pretty covers, so I didn’t see that this was your book haul for the WHOLE month, and my eyes kept getting bigger and bigger (and greener and greener) . . . But still–that’s a LOT of really good books! I hope you like ALL of them, but specifically I hope you like A Discovery of Witches. It’s very different from a lot of UF that’s out right now, and I really liked it. Happy reading πŸ˜‰

• Amber 27/04/2014 12:38 pm

Bahaha, I’m not crazy enough to pick all of these up in one week. Almost, but not quite XD And thank you, I hope so too! I’m so excited to start all of them (aside from the crappy ones Tatum gave me) and it’s so hard to choose a book to read! A Discovery of Witches sounds fantastic, I can’t wait to start it.

21. Reviews from a Bookworm 20/04/2014 1:32 pm

Wow! Amazing haul, you’ve got a lot of books this week. I recently read Easy and really enjoyed that one, excited for the sequel. I have quite a few of the others waiting to be read – like Half Bad and How To Love. I hope you enjoy all your books and thanks for stopping by my haul.

• Amber 27/04/2014 12:39 pm

I adored Easy, but I’m not sure if I’m going to read the sequel. I think it works really well as a standalone, and I’m not all that interested in Noah. Thanks!

• Amber 27/04/2014 12:39 pm

I adored them both!

22. Kirsty-Marie 20/04/2014 4:00 pm

Whoa- a ton of books. But, a ton of good ones. All Our Yesterdays, loved it- How can anyone NOT love that one? Shame. πŸ™ Loved Half Bad too, and I so need to get a copy of Something Real from the Book Depository everyone keeps talking about it and I just want to be in on that, haha. Happy reading! πŸ˜€

• Amber 27/04/2014 12:41 pm

Right?! Judith is weird, everyone should love AOY. Something Real was really good, although not amazing. I enjoyed it though πŸ˜€

23. Becca Lostinbooks 20/04/2014 11:05 pm

So many! I just acquired The Thief recently, too, but haven’t had time to read it yet. The book titled The Corner of Bitter and Sweet seems way too similar to The Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. I guess things get similar eventually, but it is kind of odd.

• Amber 27/04/2014 12:45 pm

I hope I love The Thief, I think it sounds fantastic.

24. Lauren @ Lose Time Reading 21/04/2014 1:52 am

EEEPS! I recommend you read both A Discovery of Witches AND Easy soon πŸ™‚ They were both 5 stars for me and two of my all time books in their respective genres!! OH! And How to Love, that was amazing also πŸ™‚

Your whole haul is amazing!! enjoy them all πŸ™‚

• Amber 27/04/2014 12:57 pm

I loooooved Easy so I’m going to take your advice and read ADOW as soon as possible! I love the sound of it.

25. Patty @ Patty's Book Corner 21/04/2014 3:00 am

I almost dies reading A Discovery of Witches. I found it sooo boring but there are a lot of people that love it, so i hope you’re one of them.

26. Natflix&Books 21/04/2014 7:48 pm

I’m reading Something Real now and am really enjoying it. I still need to read All Our Yesterdays, Half Bad and How to Love. All of which are on my TBR. Fantastic haul! I hope you love them all.

27. Ellie M. 21/04/2014 7:55 pm

I love the covers that publishers make for different countries! And so lucky that you got those books for $5. My coworker is actually reading Discovery of Witches right now and she really likes it. Hope you love all of your new books πŸ™‚

28. Danielle @ Love at First Page 23/04/2014 12:52 am

Easy, The Thief series, Something Real, and Something Like Normal – girl, you’ve got yourself several great books to read! I hope you enjoy every single one. πŸ™‚